With the quarantine currently happening, I have been limiting my visits to the grocery store. Normally I go 3-4 times a week but now I go once every two weeks at most. What a change. When it comes close to the end of the two weeks, I have to get creative with whatever vegetables I have left. That is exactly what happened when I created this spicy honey mustard chicken sandwich. Loaded with an apple kale slaw and Cajun roasted sweet potatoes, this sandwich is incredibly satisfying. I gotta say, for a raid the fridge recipe, this one is a sure winner!
Spicy Honey Mustard Chicken Sandwich
Sweet potato fries
- 2 medium yams peeled
- 1 tsp Cajun spiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Apple kale slaw
- ½ cup granny smith apple peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 cups kale shredded
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
Spicy honey mustard chicken
- 1 lb chicken breast fileted
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tsp chipotle tabasco
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sandwich buns
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into french fries. Toss with 1 tsp Cajun spices and 2 tbsp olive oil. Spread the sweet potatoes in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping the fries halfway through.
- Make the dressing for the apple kale slaw. Whisk together 1 tbsp lemon juice with 3 tbsp olive oil, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp dijon mustard, and ½ tsp sugar. Thinly slice and peel ½ an apple and toss together with 2 cups shredded kale and the prepared dressing.
- Filet the chicken breasts into 4 equal portions. Combine ¼ cup all-purpose flour with 1 tsp paprika and 1 tsp garlic powder. Coat the chicken in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken until golden brown on both sides and the juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 1 tbsp honey with 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 ½ tsp chipotle tabasco, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and 1 tbsp olive oil. Drizzle the spicy honey mustard on the chicken.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Toast the sandwich buns and place the chicken on the bottom bun followed by the apple kale slaw and Cajun potato wedges. Serve immediately.
**Helpful tips and common mistakes
You might think I'm crazy for sticking sweet potato fries inside a sandwich but you know what? It works. It's practically the same thing as having them on the side but possibly better because all of the flavors come together. To make the Cajun roasted sweet potato fries, simply toss cut sweet potato with olive oil and Cajun spices. Bake them until nice and crispy, about 20 minutes. The most important step is to flip the sweet potato halfway through the cooking. This way, both sides will be nice and browned.
Next, prepare the apple kale slaw. I personally prefer kale slaw over cabbage slaw because of the texture and extra healthy greens. Just be sure to massage the kale well with the dressing to soften the leaves.
Set aside the slaw and move on to the chicken. If your chicken breast is particularly thick, slice them in half to ensure even cooking. Lightly coat the chicken in seasoned flour and pan-fry them on the stove until golden brown on both sides. Keep the flame on medium-low to prevent the chicken from burning while the inside is still cooking.
Honey mustard is all good but I'm mixing it up and adding some spice to the mix. Make the spicy honey mustard sauce, adding more or less of the chipotle tabasco and drizzle the sauce on the chicken.
Assemble the sandwiches, topping the chicken with the apple kale slaw and Cajun sweet potato fries. This spicy honey mustard chicken sandwich might sound crazy but everything just works. A little sweet with a little spicy, how can you go wrong?
For more sandwich inspiration check out this smoky cilantro salmon burger!