Lately, I have been topping all my salads with fresh orange and absolutely loving it. With the citrus season in full effect, oranges are incredibly juicy and sweet right now making them the perfect salad topping. The other day I threw together some ingredients and ended up with one amazing lunch. Thus, I had to recreate it and share it with you all today. Here is my latest salad: everything bagel spice citrus salad with fresh orange, avocado, everything spiced croutons, pesto cannellini beans all with an orange honey mustard vinaigrette. I promise you, this combination is insanely delicious.
Everything Bagel Spice Citrus Salad
Orange honey mustard vinaigrette
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 cups day-old brioche bread cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
Pesto cannellini beans
- 14 ounces cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup pesto
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups salad greens
- 2 oranges peeled, sliced
- 2 avocadoes pit removed, cut into chunks
- extra everything bagel spice
- Make the salad dressing by blending together ¼ cup fresh orange juice, 1 teaspoon orange zest, 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar, 2 tablespoon honey, 1 ½ tablespoon dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. With the blender running, slowly drizzle ½ cup olive oil until slightly thickened and smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss 2 cups brioche with 2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon everything bagel spice, and ½ teaspoon salt. Spread on a baking sheet in one even layer and bake until golden brown, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the cannellini beans and saute until warmed, about 3 minutes. Add ¼ cup pesto, the juice of ½ lemon, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and remove from heat.
- Assemble the salads. Portion the salad greens into 4 bowls and top with orange slices, avocado chunks, everything spiced croutons, pesto beans, and orange sherry vinaigrette. Sprinkle extra everything bagel spice on top. Serve immediately.
**Helpful tips and common mistakes
This everything bagel spice citrus salad doesn't have too many ingredients but every single one shines. There are only two components that need to be cooked: everything spiced croutons and pesto cannellini beans. Don't worry! Even these elements are incredibly easy to prepare.
Prepare everything spiced croutons just as you would normal croutons but with the addition of everything spice. I love using brioche but you can swap it out for any bread you prefer. Some of the spices might come off after baking but you can recycle them and top them on your salad later on.
For the cannellini beans, I used store-bought pesto to save some time. Simply warm up the beans and season them with lemon juice, pesto, salt, and pepper.
If you're making this everything bagel spice citrus salad during citrus season, go wild with the fruits! Use cara cara oranges, blood orange, navel oranges, or even grapefruit and they would all work beautifully.
Blend together the ingredients for the orange honey mustard dressing, throw together your salad, and lunch is ready to be served. I love a little extra everything bagel spice right on top for garnish. Without a doubt, my current favorite salad!
For more salad inspiration check out this winter panzanella salad!