Jump to Recipe
This everything bagel cheesy monkey bread is so light and fluffy with just the right amount of seasoning. You'll be coming back for seconds and thirds, it's just so good!
Watch how to make this
What makes this dish special
Whenever I make salads for lunch, I like to pair them with a side dish. Garlic rolls, beer bread, and pull-apart loaves all rank high on the list but this time I wanted to do something different. A little of this, a little of that, and here is everything bagel cheesy monkey bread! They're cheesy, they're savory, and they're so addicting.
What's great about these rolls is that they use a basic pizza dough recipe and jazz it up a bit. If you have your own favorite pizza dough recipe, you can use that instead. You can also use storebought pizza dough and turn it into these rolls! It doesn't get any easier or tastier than that!
- Active dry yeast: Although I used active dry yeast for these rolls, you can also use instant dry yeast. Skip the step of activating the yeast, and combine the instant yeast with the remaining dough ingredients, mixing until a dough forms.
- All-purpose flour: Since all-purpose flour has a lower protein content, it is ideal for these rolls, resulting in soft, fluffy rolls.
- Everything bagel seasoning: The spice mixture that is used for everything bagels and typically includes poppy seeds, sesame seeds, minced garlic, minced onion, and salt. You can buy a premade seasoning mix or make your own at home.
- Garlic powder: Although everything bagel seasoning already has garlic, we're adding garlic powder as well for everything garlic flavor.
- Parmesan: The hard sharp cheese adds umami to the cheesy bread rolls. You can also use grana padana or pecorino instead.
- Mozzarella: For a milder cheese that melts beautifully when baked, we're using mozzarella in addition to the parmesan. You can also use white cheddar, Monterey Jack, or fontina.
How to make everything bagel cheesy monkey bread
Step 1: Make the dough
I love using my pizza dough recipe for multiple recipes. It's a fail-safe dough that's incredibly versatile and perfect for this everything bagel cheesy monkey bread.
Activate the yeast in warm water, then combine it with flour, salt, and oil. Knead the dough until it's fairly smooth, then let it proof in a warm area until it's doubled in size.
Step 2: Shape the dough
Punch down the dough and then portion it into 20 balls. I like to use a scale to get consistent sizes but you can just eyeball them.
Arrange the portioned dough in a springform pan or cake pan, leaving a bit of space in between. Then, drizzle the seasoned butter on top and sprinkle the cheese. Try to cover the dough completely with the cheese and butter so that every portion has some everything spice and cheese.
Cover the monkey bread and let it proof for another 30 minutes.
When the dough is ready, you can sprinkle a little more everything bagel seasoning and grated parmesan if you're feeling extra.
Step 3: Bake
Bake the bread until the outside is a beautiful golden brown. If you use a springform pan, just be aware that some of the butter will leak out while it's baking. However, it'll just be a small amount so it won't affect the monkey bread so much.
This savory everything bagel cheesy monkey bread is best served fresh out of the oven. The parmesan creates a lovely cheesy crust on the top while the everything spice just takes it to the next level. You really can't go wrong with this combination of flavors!
- Refrigeration: If you plan to consume the cheesy bread rolls within a day or two, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Reheating: To refresh day-old rolls, you can warm them in the oven for a few minutes. This helps revive the crust and make them taste freshly baked.
- Freezing: Allow the bread rolls to cool completely before freezing. This prevents condensation inside the packaging, which can lead to sogginess. Wrap the rolls in plastic wrap or freezer bags and store them for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove the desired number of rolls from the freezer and let them come to room temperature in their packaging. You can also reheat them in a preheated oven for a few minutes for a fresh-from-the-oven feel.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! Adjust the size of the dough balls and baking pan to suit your preferences. Keep an eye on the baking time for larger portions.
Yes, you can make it in advance, but for the best taste and texture, it's recommended to serve it warm right after baking. Reheat in the oven for a few minutes to maintain its freshness.
It's delicious on its own, but you can serve it with marinara sauce, garlic butter, or a creamy dipping sauce for extra flavor.
Everything Bagel Cheesy Monkey Bread
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast (6 grams)
- 1 cup warm water, 100-110 degrees F (250 ml)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (370 grams)
- 2 tablespooons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cheesy monkey bread
- ¼ cup butter, melted (57 grams)
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel spice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan (20 grams)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella (56 grams)
- Make the pizza dough. Combine active dry yeast with sugar and warm water in a small bowl. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes or until it becomes foamy and the yeast is activated.
- Combine all-purpose flour with oil and salt in a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture and mix until a dough forms. Knead for 5-7 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Cover and proof in a warm area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough. Portion the dough into 20 equal balls, about 30 grams each. Arrange the rolled-out dough in a 10-inch cake pan or springform pan, leaving space around each portion.
- Combine the melted butter with everything bagel spice, garlic powder, and pepper. Drizzle the seasoned butter over the dough, making sure to coat all sides of the dough. Sprinkle the grated parmesan and mozzarella on top and around the sides of the dough balls. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes in a warm area.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- If you are using a springform pan, place the pan on a baking sheet. Bake the everything bagel cheesy monkey bread for 25-30 minutes or until the bread is nicely browned. Serve warm.