Whenever I make salads for lunch, I like to pair them with a side dish. Garlic rolls, beer bread, pull-apart loaves all rank high on the list but this time I wanted to do something different. A little of this, a little of that, and here is everything bagel cheesy monkey bread! They're cheesy, they're savory, and they're so addicting.
Everything Bagel Cheesy Monkey Bread
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water, 100-110 degrees F (250 ml)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (370 grams)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cheesy monkey bread
- ¼ cup butter, melted (57 grams)
- 1 tablespoon everything spice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt (omit if butter is salted)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Make the pizza dough. Combine 2 teaspoon active dry yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 cup warm water in a small bowl. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes or until it becomes foamy and the yeast is activated.
- Combine 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour with 2 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the yeast water mixture and mix until a dough forms. Knead for 5-7 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Cover and proof in a warm area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough. Portion the dough into 20 equal balls, about 30 grams each. Arrange the rolled-out dough in a 10-inch cake pan or springform pan, leaving space around each portion.
- Combine the melted butter with everything bagel spice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the seasoned butter over the dough, making sure to coat all sides of the dough. Sprinkle the grated parmesan and mozzarella on top and around the sides of the dough balls. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes in a warm area.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- If you are using a springform pan, place the pan on a baking sheet. Bake the everything bagel cheesy monkey bread for 25-30 minutes or until the bread is nicely browned. Serve warm.
**Helpful tips and common mistakes
I love using my pizza dough recipe for multiple recipes. It's a fail-safe dough that's incredibly versatile and perfect for this everything bagel cheesy monkey bread.
Activate the yeast in warm water, then combine it with flour, salt, and oil. Knead the dough until it's fairly smooth, then let it proof in a warm area until it's doubled in size.
Punch down the dough and then portion them into 20 balls. I like to use a scale to get consistent sizes but you can just eyeball them.
Arrange the portioned dough in a springform pan or cake pan, leaving a bit of space in between. Drizzle the seasoned butter on top and sprinkle the cheese. Try to cover the dough completely with the cheese and butter so that every portion has some everything spice and cheese.
Cover the monkey bread and let it proof for another 30 minutes.
When the dough is ready, you can sprinkle a little more everything bagel seasoning and grated parmesan if you're feeling extra.
Bake the bread until the outside is a beautiful golden brown. If you use a springform pan, just be aware that some of the butter will leak out while it's baking. However, it'll just be a small amount so it won't affect the monkey bread so much.
This savory everything bagel cheesy monkey bread is best served fresh out of the oven. The parmesan creates a lovely cheesy crust on the top while the everything spice just takes it to the next level. You really can't go wrong with this combination of flavors!
For more everything spice bakes check out these everything bagel scallion biscuits!