Although this avocado tomato pizza may seem basic, it's anything but! Each bite is layered with beautiful flavors from the creamy avocado to the bright lemon zest to the spicy black peppercorns and bursting cherry tomatoes.
Avocado Tomato Pizza
- 1 lb pizza dough
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons basil
- zest of ½ lemon
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Place a pizza stone in the middle rack of the oven and preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Heat the pizza stone for 1 hour. Alternatively, heat a baking sheet flipped upside down in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Roll pizza dough into a 12-inch circle. If using a baking sheet, roll the pizza dough on parchment paper dusted with flour. Spread pizza sauce on the dough. Tear the mozzarella and scatter on the top followed by the cherry tomatoes. Carefully transfer the pizza onto the baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for 7-8 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top with sliced avocado, basil, lemon zest and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.
Watch how to make this:
Once in a while when I'm making lunches for the ad agency, I get a request for a specific meal. The latest one was for an avocado cherry tomato pizza similar to that served at The Luggage Room in Pasadena. The pizza seemed simple enough with mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, fresh avocado, chopped basil, and lemon zest. I underestimated how much they would love this meal because now I get this request all the time. The flavors seem simple but they work together so well to create one delicious pizza. Have some pizza dough on hand? It's time to make this avocado tomato pizza.
- Avocado: Topping the pizza with sliced avocado adds creaminess to the pizza, balancing the juicy tomatoes. Use ripe avocadoes for the best result.
- Cherry tomatoes: The tomatoes add a burst of sweetness to the pizza. You can use chopped tomatoes instead if you prefer.
- Fresh mozzarella: Unlike pre-shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella melts better making it ideal for pizza. However, you can use pre-shredded if you prefer. Make sure to thinly slice the mozzarella and tear it into smaller pieces to allow it to melt evenly.
- Lemon zest: Adding lemon zest as a finishing garnish adds a lovely brightness to the pizza.
- Basil: Fresh basil is highly recommended for a garnish, adding another layer of flavor.
How to Make Avocado Tomato Pizza
Step 1: Prepare the Pizza
For the first time in a long time, this meal doesn't call for extra tips because it's so easy to make. Prepare or make your favorite pizza dough, roll it out into a 12-inch circle, and top it with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, and cherry tomatoes.
You can use storebought pizza dough or make it yourself from scratch. Either way, you want enough dough, roughly 1 pound, to make a 12-inch pizza. I always use my hands to roll out the pizza dough to avoid popping any air bubbles.
Spread pizza sauce evenly on top followed by mozzarella and cherry tomatoes. Fresh mozzarella has a lot of moisture so make sure to thinly slice the cheese and tear it into smaller pieces. You can also dry the cheese with paper towels before using it to avoid having pools of moisture.
Step 2: Bake
Now it's time to bake! If your oven can go higher than 500 degrees, go as high as you can go. You want it to be like a pizza oven where the crust gets slightly charred and the cheese gets nice and bubbly. You will have to adjust the time, however, if you're going above 500 degrees F. Instead of checking on the pizza by opening the door, use your oven light. Every time the oven door is opened, it loses about 50 degrees. You want to maintain the high temperature as best as possible so peek through the looking glass instead of opening the door!
Once the pizza is ready, remove it from the oven and top it with sliced avocado, fresh basil, and lemon zest. Finish with some freshly cracked pepper and there you have it! So easy to make and delicious. I admit, I even crave this avocado tomato pizza once in a while!
Can I add other toppings to this pizza?
Absolutely! Salty meat such as pepperoni, prosciutto, or bacon would go well with the other ingredients. Sliced roasted jalapeno and red onion would also work as well. You can also serve the pizza with a fresh arugula salad on top if desired.
Can I prepare this avocado tomato pizza ahead of time?
Unfortunately, I do not suggest making this pizza in advance. Since it is topped with fresh avocado after it is baked, it's best to consume it immediately.
How can I reheat the pizza?
Since the avocado oxidizes, I would recommend removing any avocado that's already on the pizza. Reheat the pizza in the oven set at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until hot. Top the pizza with fresh avocado slices and you're good to go.
For more pizza inspiration check out this spicy chipotle Mexican pizza!