Take me to an ice cream shop, soda fountain restaurant, gelato store and I will almost always order cookies and cream. If they have it, I will order it. Cookies and cream on a waffle cone, double scooped in a cup, served in a root beer float, I will enjoy it in any shape or form. So when a friend requested cupcakes, I thought, "why not transform my favorite ice cream flavor into a cupcake?" Luckily, he shared my love for this flavor and enjoyed these cookies and cream cupcakes as much as I did!
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup crushed Oreos (about 12 cookies)
- 1 cup of butter softened at room temperature
- 4 cups of confectioner's sugar sifted
- ½ cup of crushed Oreo cookies (about 6)
- 3-5 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Place an Oreo in each cup.
- Combine dry ingredients from flour - salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat together butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until incorporated. Add the vanilla and sour cream.
- Add the flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in the crushed Oreos. Fill each cupcake tin ¾ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in the tin for 1 minute. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting. Place butter in a mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. Add the sugar, one cup at a time until incorporated. Add the crushed Oreos and 3 tablespoon of milk. Add additional tablespoon of milk until desired consistency. Transfer frosting to a piping bag.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost cupcakes. Serve.
**Helpful tips and common mistakes
This recipe transforms a basic vanilla cupcake recipe and turns it into cookies and cream cupcakes with the help of Oreos! If you have a favorite vanilla cupcake recipe, just add crumbled Oreos to the batter. You can use a food processor or place the cookies in a ziplock bag and use a mallet, pan, or your bare strength to crush the Oreos.
Looks like the cookies and cream ice cream, no?
Place an Oreo on the bottom of the cupcake liners and scoop the batter in, filling each cup ¾ full. I use my handy ice cream scooper to fill the cups, making it mess-free.
Frost them bad boys and serve these cupcakes. You can also garnish them with mini Oreos for a little extra special. These cookies and cream cupcakes were a hit! The best part? The Oreo surprise at the bottom of each cupcake. Cookies and cream for the win!
For more dessert inspiration check out these red velvet funnel cakes!